Sunday, May 16, 2010

I have babies!!! and oh shiet!!!

This is my Bristlenose catfish it's about 5 years old (maybe even older), i have 4 up in total 2 male and 2 females. This male one is roughly 10 cm long and i think it's as big as they get. Anyway the most amazing thing happened today while i was just checking out the aquarium i noticed what i thought it was to be a guppy fry at the bottom of the tank and it appeared to be stuck under the driftwood. I said "aww, it's stuck" but then i noticed the colour of its tail was a lot darker than normal and also it wasn't stuck it just wasn't moving from that spot. Now that's odd for a guppy fry, usually if that happens it means they are highly stressed or sick but then i noticed a few more under the driftwood, just sitting there. That's when i realised, omg it's not a guppy its a catfish!
Gahhhhhh! I'm soo happy, in these past years where i have had them i never expected them to breed because i just didn't know how to breed them. But then 5 years later. Bam! They hatch babies! They are so tiny it's so cute. I counted about 4 but i assume there is more that i can't see. I'm suprised they are alive actually, the stupid big ass gournamis i have eat anything that fits in their mouth but they survived! I'm soo happy!
Photo credits : aquaticcommunity.com

I was consulting to my aquarium buddy on msn to why it happened now and not before. It appears that it is supposed to take this long because it does take a while to reach adulthood but when they reach it they need to find a partner and develop a relationship and then they are partners (not too sure if it's for life though), then they mate and lay eggs. How touching eh? It's not like my guppies how they turn my community tank into a tank of incestuous rape lol. They have relationships and lay eggs, not only that after they hatch it is apparently the male catfish that then protects the babies for a short period of time, sometimes he would even usher them back into the cave to when they are born.

As to the "oh shiet". I just checked on 'my three' to see how I'm going in terms of my cap. It's only what? 3 days in i think? I have blown it already. About $90 over my $150 cap. Bwahahahah! I wonder how diligent i can be in not using my phone for the next 27 days. I still do have 200minutes free to call any 3 user though.. Hahahah shiet. So worth it though.

1 comment:

  1. Congratsssss grandpa! :D HAHAHA
    & GG to you going over your cap :0
    How did this happen, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete