Sunday, May 9, 2010

Buddha's Birthday.... Poi play.

Today i helped out BLIA Sydney with "Buddha's Birthday" celebrations at Darling Harbor. Woke up late, and it took me so long to find my YAD t-shirt. Got there at about 9.30 as opposed the the arranged 8am. *oops* Although feeling as sick as i am ( I can almost taste the sickness in my throat when i cough/sneeze) i still tried to help the best i could. Even if helping meant standing off to the side and doing nothing, i would be there.
Selling the Taiwanese shaved ice seemed a bit fruitless and i honestly found more reward in showing people how to bath the Buddha. Make three prostrations, pour water on his left shoulder, then right and then left again and not his head, palms together and (as much as i cringe saying this) make a wish. I dislike wishful thinking, its not my thing I personally prefer to say to myself 'to pay respects to Buddha' for what he has given shown and provided for us. I also wonder what goes through other peoples minds when they do such religious acts that is almost alien to them. I think, do they feel offended? Do they feel nervous, in fear of offending others? They are just some of the things that would go through my head if i was asked to partake in another religions religious activity. (Just the same as if i was with a heavily Christian friend i would watch what words i use.)They did have a group of lion dances from a troupe based in Cabbra and despite how often i have personally performed in lion dancing i still very much enjoy and get exited watching others performing it. If anything i get even more excited when others perform, i hardly ever get to see lion dancing.This troupe had a minimal acoustics but they made up for it in the numbers of lions they had. As stupid as this sounds i was surprised that there was at lest two pair of lion dances who were girls. Although they could not do any of the stances they still put in a solid effort.
It was quite obvious though that their group (like mine) had a one star attraction. It stood out from the rest of the lions, literally. The gold one was the only one who could pull of jumping onto the head and stand up on shoulders, they even went to balancing on one leg while on the shoulders! Very inspiring!There was also one lion costume that intrigued me alot. Black fur, gold trim but leopard skin fabric. Ohh so very fancy, i want one.What made my day was when someone from our YAD said to me something along the lines of "I saw you at Forrest rd. lion dancing and i think you are alot better" It made me smile and say "Really?" and blush accordingly in a masculine sort of way. It's funny to think that as much of a lion dance enthusiast and performer i am, the first lion dance i blog about is of another group. hrm..
On another note, i made my very first set of decent sock/cone/fabric poi. Made it out of the scrap material i found at Sifu's place. Its even got a handle! It's not great and i don't think it will last long. But it shall suffice till i get better and this was probably the first time in a long time i actually asked my mum to help me with something but yes, she helped me sew the thing up with her industrial sewing machine ( soo fast!). It's pretty much a straight sock with a handle in the end. I plan to get a small sack of rice to act as a weight but believe it or not ( i can hardly believe it myself) we have officially run out of rice in the house, what the? How can a typical dysfunction Chinese family run out of rice? So no weight yet, but it will happen.
As for my poi skills. I only just realised last night as i was trying to teach Glenn, my reverse 3-beat was in fact a 2 beat. I have been doing the reverse in two beats this whole time! and now trying to put in that extra beat in reverse was quite difficult but I'm getting there.

* Just realised my poi in the picture looks like a very crappy, last minute, lame valentines gift. It's not meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment