Tuesday, September 21, 2010

3 Days in the saddle.


So upon realising that the Scott 24 is on the 9th-10th oct, which is in fact only about 3 weeks away, it finally hit me that if i don't do anything now I'm screwed.

Well I'm already screwed, but I know but i could potentially be so screwed that i just wont have fun when i go. So i figured i better do something about it.

Saturday arvo I hit loftus up for a short lap, the sun was setting and also i was due to be at brighton at 5 (which i got there at 6, oops!).
Sunday after work I did a full bmu lap, and on Monday (yesterday) I did 2 laps of Appin.

Saturday at loftus would of been my first solo ride in a very very long time, maybe a year or even more. It was also the first time of me being on the bike since i went down to Stromlo. It was quite frustrating really, I was never out of breath but I just couldn't go any faster. Also riding through the single tracks I noticed i don't have much style anymore, instead of say "Calving it up" I was more just rolling past. Sure it was still fun but i knew I have done better.

Sunday after work i figured i should ride again to get use to being strained from riding. Got there and i bumped into a guy named Warren who is apparently part of the bmu forums . He noticed i was wearing the bmu jersey and said hi, shame i just got there and he was leaving.
This time i did the full lap, my sit bones on my bum was a bit sore, this surprised me because i didn't even ride for that long the day before. It was a bit better than the day before, I could flow a lot better through the single track but i still lacked a lot of power and speed, which was again a bit frustrating. I was never out of breath but when i wanted to go a bit faster than i just couldn't.

Monday would be my 3rd day consecutive on the bike. It's been a while since that has happened, I cannot even guess how long its been since this last happened. Surprisingly I was feeling fine, bottom was feeling good too.
The single track at Appin is substantially more technical than loftus and it was clear i have lost a fair bit of fluidity. I managed to fit in 2 laps in 90 mins, i considered heading home after 1 lap but that means the commute time would of double of my ride time and i just couldn't hack that. I did the first lap at a cruising speed and then on the second i tried to speed things up a bit. In the end both laps clocked in at 45 mins. So much for trying huh?
This time I could put more power down in the pedals but after a short amount of time my legs would forget that and then my legs start mushing at the 'comfort' speed. Then when i noticed this mush i would speed up again but my legs would soon forget again becoming a cyclic process.

Today, i figured i should rest but hopefully i can study enough to hit Manly Dam up tomorrow morning with Jing.

Re-reading what i just wrote i realised i have had quite a quick improvement in just three days. I hope if i can keep this up i will be up to scratch at the Scott.

2 comments:

  1. u obiviously did not study enough :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome dude!

    Reminds me to train harder to keep up with my team mates :)

    ReplyDelete