Monday, August 29, 2011

24 Seasonal drumming, weekend one.

I got there super early that even the gates weren't opened yet.

As always the smells of incense fill the air at the temple. But now I hardly notice it.

I find it quite fascinating at how the reverends can maintain their levels of concentration. While walking they meditate, walking in perfect straight lines following the courtyard paving.

30 drums all up, wrapped up and quite difficult to un-bag. I could only imagine how difficult it would of been to slip those drums in that Hessian bag.

At first I was told that there would be a 'sifu' coming down from Malaysia to teach us the drumming so I automatically assumed it was a reverend. Nope it was just the two top coaches from that Malaysian drumming school. These guys were seriously pro's, super patient and they knew how to structure their lessons properly.

So pro, they showed us just one of their routines and it was amazing. So much power and energy in it that one of the instructors hit it so hard it split the skin on the drum.

Seriously, the food is amazing. I'm pretty sure I had some kickass imitation roast duck, that or it was meant to be chicken. I'm not too sure, but it was amazingly good.



The same bird as last time. Waiting on the same rock as always too. It's so cute, it can swim underwater too!!

All packed up! (kinda)

I was invited by the temple to attend a 24 season drumming camp and I am very glad I went. So much fun and such a big learning experience for me. I realised I suck at counting to 8 and I'm quite annoyingly short for the drums.

First day felt like it went by so long. Everyone struggled even me but by Sunday we were all moving quite quickly! We have learnt only 2 sets of drumming routines with 1 more to go, so hopefully with the next weekend coming up we will have it all down pat!

No comments:

Post a Comment