Thursday, April 29, 2010

I hit a new low today.

So this morning doing my morning ritual, i was thinking about my poor or in this case 'lack of' nutritious substantial meals this past month and how it has affected me, the only quantitative method to find out was my weight. 54kg's the number was, if i can recall correctly my weight was just reaching 57kg's last time i checked. That is a loss of almost three whole kilo's in a month! I don't know if i am losing my non existing fat or my muscles. Whatever, it does not matter, i don't ever and i mean ever recall having a weight lower than 55kg's in the last 5 years. It goes up and down between 55-57 and so if anyone does ask for my weight i just say 55 but ... damn 54kg's must be a new record. I wonder if i can still bench 60? lol!

That said I'm glad that a certain someone seems to be doing a lot better than i am, i envy that person (from what i can gather), going out practically every night, returning late at night despite the 9am start, having such loyal friends around, eating at new and adventurous places, a new social group to hang with and not to forget the new found relationship. I wish i could just move on like that, that or at lest not waste myself down to nothing.

I bought a Snickers bar yesterday, left it in my bag and only ate it today. I won a free bar! Maybe everything else in my life will turn for the better.Last minute plans at uni was to go watch the new movie Ironman 2. So keen, but considering it is such a big movie and it only just came out any popular cinema would of been booked out. So what about Beverly Hills! New and in the middle of nowhere, perfect. Yeh plan was to go to the "Lulu's" restaurant for dinner and watch the 8pm session, everything was planned. Even though i had to go to Bankstown to check out the tombstones for my grandparents, i would of gone after to watch it with my mates. Yeh..... It didn't happen, they didn't even end up going. I was looking forward to it. Now i hate using internet slang but.... Fail..

So after checking out the tombstones making sure all the characters to be engraved are correct me and my family went down to "Sunny's Seafood Restaurant" in Bevo. Thursday night it was pretty damn busy for a weeknight. Oh and it was 50% off crab tonight!! Woah crap how come we didn't know about this earlier, as opposed to the regular market price of $36 per 1/2kg it was just $18 per half kg!! So of course the crab was a must with the e-noodles underneath of course.
Crab cooked with ginger and shallots and a base of e-noodles(my fav)We ended up getting 2 crabs one small one and one big ones (1.5kgs). Now my dad is always nitpicky to the point where it gets highly annoying, this time it was no different he insisted he had to personally chose the crabs himself. Well today it worked out for the better these crabs where so full of meat! It was great, and don't forget the noodles, cooked with the right amount of moisture making it not too sloppy and wet. I notice some places when they make this dish they stirfry the noodles with too much starch and water resulting in an almost soup when you get near finishing the dish but today was great, none of that horrible starch soup.The quail, now i am made to believe this is a Chinese delicacy, i think that is just rubbish. We are made to believe that they slowly roast the quail until it is perfect. I know better, they chuck it in the deep fryer without the batter, how else do they manage to get it out to us so quickly. Anyway this quail was nice, the skin was not as crispy to as what i thought it would be, which is a plus in my books. Served with a side of Chinese vinegar and salt spice(which i don't ever touch) makes for a very nice appetizer. Steamed Oysters with Soy, Ginger and Shallots.You know what, i actually think i liked my oysters cooked Chinese style the best over all the other ways to eat them. Really i think i do, maybe though i just need to go to a place that can actually cook decent mornay and killpatric oysters. With this way the oyster is full cooked with the shallot zing and a nice light soy base.Dessert! Sweet Red Bean SoupI never appreciated the dessert they serve in Chinese restaurants but now i do because not only is it complementary and comes with a fruit platter it does give your tastebuds a break from the savory (or msg filled) dishes.

We also got 'Fu yu tong choy' Direct translation is (er......) Bitter fish tube lettuce. I just love the names of Chinese dishes sounds so authentic. Basically 'Tong choy' is a type of Chinese lettuce that is tubed and has sparse leaves sprouting out the sides for it's the stalk people generally eat it for. The "Fu yu" -'Bitter Fish' is a type of preserved beancurd spice you can mix in with almost anything you like. I didn't get to take a picture of it and i didn't think it was that great, a bit too salty or heavy on the beancurd spice. I have had better at the place next door called "Mas Thai".

So for four people we ate for just under $150! This is practically a seafood dinner and we didn't actually finish everything we took some of the e-noodles and lettuce home cause we were just so full. So for 4 dishes and complementary tea,fruit and dessert for under 150 is damn worth it! Next time when I'm out with friends despite how often i have this i will suggest it.

* Also saw YKM walk in near the end of my meal. I almost felt awkward and i don't know why. I know they are a competing martial arts/lion dancing troupe but we're all friends, kind of, not really, i don't know their names i only know Trevor and Esmond. lol

1 comment:

  1. "I never appreciated the dessert they serve in Chinese restaurants but now i do because not only is it complementary......"

    LOL another asian moment. Hope you are holding up good!

    ReplyDelete