Monday, May 2, 2011

Alio's in Surry Hills

You know what's cool? Those coupon sites that offer pretty decent deals on anything they can find. Last week or so I saw an offer for Alio's 10 course degustation and I just couldn't resist!

Olives and Cheese!
It's funny because I'm not the type of person to ever eat olives on its own, the flavour is just too strong and pungent for me, but these olives were marinated just right not too strong at all!

Hand made Grissini and Focaccia bread
Focaccia was great! I love the taste and feel of fresh bread, I was quite wary of filling up on the carbs before the meal but I ate it all anyway. The grissini, well I honestly didn't even know what a grissini was up until now. I just reminded me of a cheesey bread biscuit, quite fun to eat actually.

Potato and Leek soup
Super creamy and quite tasteful. Coming from a Chinese background I did find it slightly awkward to be having soup out of a coffee cup and saucer.
Cap.
Betroots with feta and walnuts.
This dish proved to be quite the surprised of flavour and texture. Just think, betroot, feta cheese and roasted walnuts. hrm..
Veal with tuna mayo, fried capers and parsley.
The veal was sliced very thinly and reminded me a lot of prosciutto, with the mayo and capers quite the delite.
Warm salami on polenta and herb butter.
Super creamy!! I like it!
Mushroom Risotto
This dish does and did look a but ugly but boy it was good
Lamb rump with eggplant and dragoncella salsa.
This dish was quite amusing to eat. The lamb was fantastic, cooked to perfection I cannot remember the last time I had a rump cooked to a perfect medium rare. The eggplant however was very confusing, my first taste test brought me through a nostalgic memory of home cooking both me and my partner agreed there was somewhat of an asian feel to it.
Mandarin Sorbet
This was amazing, you knoe the mandarin flavour. Well Alio brought it to a whole new level of taste. I could almost taste not only the juices of mandarins but also the pulp and it's texture. Very refreshing.
Belgium chocolate with caramelised oranges and berries.
The chocolate was super thick, close to a moose texture but not quite. The flavour was a bit dark for my liking up until I grabbed a bit of fruit on the side of it and it proved to be an excellent combo.


For under 100 for two it was a great degustation. Alio's degustation does change monthly depending on what's in season so I just might check it out again if their menu entices me.

No comments:

Post a Comment