Monday, March 21, 2011

Chefs Gallery.

Funky business cards!!

Ok, so the other day I visited the much talked about "Chefs Gallery" on George street (the shop front actually faces Bathurst street). It's the new buzz in Sydney apparently, I hardly ever walk past the shop without noticing a substantial line building up.


When you walk in the first thing you will notice is the open kitchen behind the glass. A vibrant display of the chiefs and staff hustling about. One thing that always caught my attention was the guy who pulled the handmade noodles, so fast and smooth he was. Pulling the dough out in arms length, twisting it around, folding it in half and repeating the process till the noodles are just right. Then snips off the end and onto the next batch.

The pan fried pork buns!

For this dish I think they had a different name on the menu to what i originally know it as (same as every other dish on the menu). To be honest, I was quite disappointed in this dish despite my surprise in seeing the buns nestling on top of a light, thin crackle of some sort. The buns were not as juicy as I would of liked it thus no scrumptious soup to burn your tongue on. I was quite sad about that really.

These things, I don't know what they called this on the menu but what it reminded me of was the "iced skin moon cakes" you can get during the moon festival, but here imagine the skin rolled up with a red bean paste in the middle. I'm not exactly a fan of this either, the white skin tasted like raw dough but i believe that's what's it meant to be like.It was much more tasteful in playing with it. Yes I'm 21 and I'm still happy to play with my food.

Lotus bun pumpkin.
Yes, they had a different name, a more extravagant one actually. As cute as it is, it's as cute as it tastes. Nice, soft and creamy, not too sweet and the skin that holds the lotus paste was just right.
Black Sesame Bun.
Again, not what they called it on the menu. Seriously the sweets here by far outperform the mains. The bun was not too dense, it was cute and the sesame just oozed out. It was never too sweet and did I mention these things look adorable!?

Two things i must note before i end this post. The interior design of this place is quite exquisite not over the top. It somewhat reminds me of a modern contemporary art gallery showing off ancient Chinese relics housed in glass boxes placed around the room. I didn't get to take a photo to capture it but I guess things like this is best seen in person.
Second thing I must note is that, for this blog I haven't included everything I could of. I just found the food to be a bit of a let down really. Although don't take it the wrong way It's quite affordable and I probably will go there again and give it a second chance and try their other dishes.
So please, don't let this post deter you from trying it out. Everything must be done one right?





3 comments:

  1. Mmm... Lotus pumpkin buns! Piggy buns! :D

    Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im going to take ley there. she would love this place i reckon. just eat deserts all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest to get in there relatively early. Saves waiting in the queue.

    ReplyDelete