Thursday, August 19, 2010

Car night!

Last night after work I went to Will's place so he can help me hoist up the car and show me how to change my oil and oil filter.I got there with maccas in hand and it turned out to be a car night with some boys. Clifton needed his regular corolla suspension changed over to its rightful sportivo springs/shocks. When i got there they had only just done front passenger side, apparently it took them close to 2 hours to get the first shox fitted. Damn car stuff must be confusing! But when i got there i helped out, everyone already knew what to do, so taking the old one out was pretty quick.
Clifton ripped out the interior of the car hoping that there would be time to do the rear shocks too, but he didn't think time would be on our side so that's for another night.

Then it was the sp23's turn! Oh gosh that put a lot of strain on my mentality. We thought that changing the oil would be best done on the ramps, but that's where the problems started. I couldn't get onto the ramps without scraping my bumper, I was petrified about driving onto the ramps fearing that i would go too far and over the ramps, destroying my underbody.
What had happened was my tyres were wet and so, rolling on (while burning my clutch!) the front driver side wheel rolled on fine but the passenger side slipped. This was where i was shitting myself thinking that the stand was going to slip and take out someones ankle. So we scrambled and quickly got a jack to lift it up to seat the front end of the car on these smalls hoists. Then i found there was a plastic guard protecting the underbelly of my car, how frustrating.
When the guard was taken off (which has slightly been chewed at from scraping it on driveways! ARGH!) and after much oo'ing and ahh'ing of my car, off goes the sump plug and out comes a very thick, black stream of oil.
This is my old oil filter.
And this is my new one. What a difference huh!?
After everything was drained and plugged up, in goes close to 5 liters of new oil! Crap, i never knew that an engine contained that much oil! But even pouring in new oil proved to have some difficulties, because the new oil was so clean it was so damn hard to see if i had put enough in or if i had put too much! We ended up thinking we put too much in, hoisted the car up again, drained a bit but in the end we put in about the same amount we took out. Doh!.

When that was all done it was about 2am. Gosh that took a long damn time just to change my oil. But good thing is now, i know what to do and hopefully it shouldn't be too hard next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment